you can always return it if you change your mind ...


Famous last words.

I admit it, I'm an avid return-er. I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly apologize to all those innocent customer service people at Target, Anthropologie, Eddie Bauer, Sprouts, REI, Athleta and Columbia. Oh, and Amazon.com.


A note about returning: It feels amazing. It feels even more amazing if you can get out of the store without spending the money you just saved. This is rare. Why do they put the customer service at the back of the store?!

Target - Easy-peasy returns IF you have a receipt. If not, you get the value of the item at it's current value. Everything at Target eventually goes on sale, so I do not suggest this.

Anthropologie - No need for a receipt of you have an Anthro member card! But don't wait too long, something in their computer complicates it and they end up having to find other items at the same cost to scan in. Do not do this the week before Christmas. Aham.
Eddie Bauer - No hassle, no limit, no expiration date (ever). Thank you, Eddie

Sprouts
- No, I don't return food. But they are very nice to take vitamins back when I constantly get the wrong m
illigrams, brand or something.

REI - It's good to own a share of REI. If you ever shop there, become a member! Yearly dividend! Easy returns. Happy people. Happy people wearing green vests and cargo pants. Happy people wearing green vests and cargo pants who can tell you where to go backpacking or snow-shoeing. And all after you just returned 2 ski jackets worth $300+ because you found one on sale online. Please forgive me REI customer service friends.

Athleta.com -  Free returns! Free shipping! Yay!

Columbia Outlet - Nothing special to say here, very nice people who give my money back with a smile. :)

Amazon.com - I've never done it. I've just WANTED to do it so many times! The one downfall of most online shopping is that you have to pay for return shipping. A very scary prospect for someone like me. So think before you click!*


A note about receipts: Keep them! My co-workers constantly laugh at my wallet. But that was before I discovered the secret to returning — have the cashier put the receipt in the bag. When you decide to return the item, it's right there in the bag WITH the item. Ingenious. Who thought of this brilliance?


A note to places that do not accept returns. Bad idea, my friends. Bad, bad. I may have bough that something for that someone or that sweater that goes with that one dress IF I had the peace of mind that "You can always return it if you change your mind ..." (I'm speaking to you, The Barn, pictured above) Then again, maybe you are smart.


A note about not buying things in the first place (I know you're all thinking it): Now this is just silly. HOW am I supposed to know if I like that shirt in regular lighting? And DO I still have those jeans that will go with it? I'm not encouraging impulsive buying. After all, you have to pay for the gas and time to return those items. Actually, I've been accused of being far too tedious about purchase decision making and sometimes even get non-buyers remorse. I'm not talking about going on shopping sprees and then returning half of it later! Don't we all have enough stuff? All I'm saying is that you can save a pretty penny if you make strategic purchases and then take the time to return the items that didn't work out (or you found on sale somewhere else).

But why am I trying to convince you? This is simply my confession and a little nod to all the customer service reps out there.

Thank you for giving my money back. :)


p.s. I don't even like shopping. No really! I don't! Maybe this is why? I feel exhausted.
*So I hear that Amazon may also give free shipping on returns. My problem is that I always buy used items from private sellers. I 'll amend that statements and say, check the return policy before you click!


photos by sarah fritzler via instagram


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...